THE GUILT OF INNOCENT BLOOD UPON ULSTER
Will placing the murderers in government remove it?
“So shalt thou put away the guilt of innocent blood from among you, when thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the LORD,” Deuteronomy 21:9.
Preached by Rev Ivan Foster in Kilskeery FPC, 4th March 2007,
just before the formation of the power-sharing coalition between the DUP and Sinn Fein/IRA
Murder is the stock and trade of the devil while life is the ‘business’ of Christ. “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him,” John 8:44. (Psalm 10:8)
How different was the Saviour’_s purpose amongst men. “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly,” John 10:10.
A nation’s response to murder is a clear indication of its spiritual state. In this passage, it is very evident that the Lord would have His people treat murder most seriously and solemnly. It is a chief work of darkness and the very antithesis of the Law of God which calls on men to love their neighbour.
When a murder victim was found and no culprit could be identified after an investigation, then the people near to where the body was found were to follow a prescribed path of solemn and public disowning of all knowledge of the crime, verses 6-7.
What a lesson there is for this land with its hundreds of such murders and the concealing of these crimes by many who hold public office and who would push themselves into government.
I. THE SECRET MURDER IS AN ANCIENT CRIME
That the Lord found it necessary to impose such a law upon His people indicates that. Likewise, so is the concealment of such. Apostasy fills the land with blood, Ezekiel 7:23-27; 8:7.
Ulster is reaping what it has sown!
II. SECRET SINS WILL BE FOUND OUT
God will “detect” it. This is especially so with murder.
1. The Lord would have us share His attitude toward murder. “And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground,” Genesis 4:10. Isaiah 26:21. The day of disclosure is the day of Christ’s return. 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10.
2. He would have a proper search for the murderer conducted. This has not been the case for political reasons. It has been alleged repeatedly that Gerry Adams’ has held a prominent position in the IRA, even by his own compatriots, yet no action has been taken against him_.
The blood of victims is on many in the political world as well as the actual terrorist murderers!
III. SUCH MURDERS DEFILE THE LAND AND ALL IN IT
1. There is guilt upon the land. “Be merciful, O LORD, unto thy people Israel, whom thou hast redeemed, and lay not innocent blood unto thy people of Israel’s charge. And the blood shall be forgiven them,” Deuteronomy 21:8. Loyalists and republicans in Ulster have committed and have been aided in the concealment of many murders by their supporters and by government agencies.
Sinn Fein is still of this mind, irrespective of the recent “pledges” to uphold the law! They know the murderers of 100s of victims but will not disclose them!
2. Such guilt will bring God’s judgment. “_ . . . the guilt of innocent blood,” verse 9.
3. It is the duty of the elders of the land to disown such murders. This is what this passage is all about.
IV. THE ELDERS WERE TO LEAD THE PEOPLE IN A PUBLIC DISAVOWAL OF THE CRIME
1. This land is about to see the very opposite taking place. The coalition at Stormont entails a uniting by the DUP with the murderers.
2. Such an action will promote an attitude toward murder which is most displeasing to God. Verses 6-8 show the horror felt by the elders. This was the intention of the procedure. That horror of murder is absent from today’s political scene.
3. God’s attitude toward the murder is seen in the requirement of a sacrifice. Verses 3-4. It speaks to us of the cross where Christ became sin for us and was forsaken of the Father. This is the pattern for us to follow.
V. ONLY AFTER SUCH A DISOWNING OF THE MURDERER WAS THE GUILT PUT AWAY
The DUP seems ready to embrace the murderers and their evil crimes rather than disowning them. We should be distancing ourselves from Sinn Fein/IRA, not consorting with them. Numbers 16:21-26; Psalm 1:1-2: Revelation 18:4.
“Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins: keep thyself pure,” 1 Timothy 5:22.
Here is a warning to all DUP candidates, workers and voters!