Paul lists three matters about which he desires the Lord to teach the Ephesians more fully.
1. The hope of God's calling, verse 18.
2. The riches of the glory of God's inheritance in the saints, verse 18.
3. The greatness of God's power, verses 19-23.
We wish to look at the second of these topics.
These words need careful reading before we enter upon an exegesis of them.
I. GOD WOULD HAVE US TO BE INFORMED ABOUT OUR INHERITANCE
1 Cor 2:9-10.
1. It is a chief means of sustaining the saint. What comfort, what encouragement, what joy it will afford. God's people have always had their eyes upon the world that is to come. Hebs 11:10; 13:14.
2. We are to set our affections on it. Col 3:2. You cannot set your love upon that of which you know nothing.
3. It is to occupy our thoughts. Isa 26:3.
II. EVERY CHRISTIAN IS GOD'S HEIR
1. Everything we have in Christ is by way of an inheritance. It is not of works or of merit but freely given. To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me, Acts 26:18. See verses 11, 14.
2. As we have already noticed, we have received the down payment of our inheritance. A knowledge of sins forgiven and reconciliation with God and an assurance of heaven is the down payment.
3. The full inheritance will be entered upon in heaven. 1 Peter 1:3-5.
III. CONSIDER THE TITLE GIVEN TO OUR INHERITANCE
The riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints. Paul labours to give expression to the magnifience of the inheritance of the saints.
1. It is a rich inheritance. It refers to the abundance of treasure.Mark 10:21.
2. It is a glorious inheritance. It is an inheritance that is brightened by the glory of God. It comes from His hand and bears His glory. The heavens declare the glory of God, Psalm 19:1. How much more that which has been purchased by the blood of Christ. 2 Cor 4:17.
3. It is God's inheritance. It is prepared by His hand. John 14:1-3. It is to be like Christ, 1 John 3:2; Phil 3:21. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him, 1 Corinthians 2:9. Hebs 11:16;