The anger of the nations - Psalm 2, Part 1KICS Studies - Some of my Favorite Psalms · part 49 of 69Rev. Ivan Foster · YouthPsalm 2:1-3 · Tue Sep 27, 2022
I have often referred to this psalm as a wonderfully ‘condensed’ record of present and future events relating to the Lord Jesus. It is a summary of the Bible Prophecy regarding the last times. If we learn its main features they will direct us to an understanding of the fuller revelations of those times given us in other parts of God’s Word. It clearly shows how well versed the Old Testament saints were regarding the future!
Its 12 verses may be divided into four sections of three verses each.
We will start with the verses 1-3.
THE ANGER OF THE NATIONS
I was reading just a few days ago of warnings about a great storm approaching the coast of Canada. The most recent news is that it has caused much damage, with one coastal town being almost destroyed, house washed into the sea.
God gives us a warning here of a conspiracy against the Saviour. It is man’s hatred of God reaching the pinnacle, it is fast moving forward to its peak in these dark days.
- The rebellion is made up of the ungodly in the world. They are referred to as the ‘heathen’. That refers to the ‘non-Jewish’ people of the earth.
- High and low are engaged in this rebellion. “The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,” verse 2.
- It is a violent storm. ‘Rage’. This a word which does not appear anywhere else in the Bible. This is a ‘unique’ rage. It is unlike any rage seen before amongst men. Remember what Paul said, 2 Tim 3:1 - ‘perilous times’. The ‘exceeding fierceness’ of the devil, Matthew 8:28.
- They conspire to rid themselves of God’s rule. “Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us,” verse 3. Here again we see the fierceness of this rebellion. “Break’, cast away’. Break in pieces and fling away.
- It is destined to fail. “The people imagine a vain thing?” It is an ‘empty’, ‘useless’ exercise. It will come to nothing. It is like trying to climb up a rope of sand!
ID: 12141416575389 · The anger of the nations - Psalm 2, Part 1