“The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether,” Psalm 19:8-9.
David continues to extol the inspired Word of God, which is a very much clearer revelation of God and His glories, than the heavens above.
(I added these comments after the assembly meeting where I had made them extemporaneously. Please note how David offered proof of what he said. This contrasts with the world’s slanderous attacks upon God’s Word.)
1. The statutes or commandments of the Lord are right. How contrary this view is to the common view of man! Today, every statute of God is deemed hurtful, unfair and contrary to man’s wellbeing!
2. However, in truth they make men happy. “Rejoicing the heart”. They cause men to sing from their hearts! Exodus -first mention of singing. Followed obedience and experiencing of God’s blessing.
3. The commandments of God bring about a dawn in the minds and hearts of men. They deliver us from the darkness of sin. We see things very differently when we obey God!
4. The commandments of the Lord bring about the opposite to man’s views and notions. They are ‘clean’, ‘pure’! They are as salt in this unclean world.
5. Fear is induced by a believing of God’s Word. This persuades us to obey God and thus brings purity. Note it is no mere temporary purity! “Enduring for ever”.
6. There is no flaw in God’s Word. “ . . . the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.” Whether you take any one command or the whole body of God’s law you will find that they are true and righteous.
The world will yet learn this great truth. Have you boys and girls?