4th section — The recommendations of the gospel, part 2.
THE SUBSTANCE OF THE INVITATION
1. Be wise and take instruction. How vain it is to oppose Christ. How wise to yield to His claims in the gospel.
* We cannot be wise until we are instructed in the gospel. Man’s natural state — IGNORANCE. “Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart,” Eph 4:18. “As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance,” I Pet 1:14.
2. Serve the Lord in fear and joy. Service of God is what man is called to. “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light,” Matt 11:29-30.
* We must serve the Lord as He directs us in His word.
His service must take priority over all other considerations. Even kings are not above this duty.
* Notice that a fear of the Lord is not incompatible with true joy. True joy is mingled with the fear of God.
There is cause to fear? “The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?” Isaiah 33:14.
3. Reconcile yourself to Him. Reconciliation is summed up in the words, “kiss the Son”.
The KISS indicates: SINCERITY, SURRENDER, ADORATION, LOYALTY.
4. The invitation is reinforced by the threat of certain wrath. Rejection angers Christ. Sinner, note that truth today. Just a little of His anger can damn. What a thing it is to perish in the way of your sins! What will it be like for sinners to feel the full wrath of Christ when just a little can damn! Rev 6:16.